Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 1 - Day 5 Be a Doer of the Word James 1.22-25 and Matthew 5 (various).

WOW!  The verses in Matthew 5 hit home with me this evening.  I personally am dealing with some issues that those verses struck a chord as they say.  Nothing new as far as insight goes, but just a gentle reminder on how to handle certain situations.  But on to the project at at hand:



James 1:22–25 (HCSB)
22 But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 Because if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his own face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But the one who looks intently into the perfect law of freedom and perseveres in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but one who does good works—this person will be blessed in what he does.  

How does James say the Word affects us when we hear and act on it?
v. 25 - "...this person will be blessed in what he does."  Sound familiar.  Psalm 1.3 - "...his leaf will not wither and everything he does will prosper.".  I know all of the "Prosperity Gospel" will jump all over these two verses, but I'm quite sure the prosperity James is talking about is not necessarily earthly prosperity.  I'm sure all of the Apostles who were martyred did not feel very "prosperous".  But I digress.

How often do you apply the Word of God in a concrete way in your life?
- Somewhere between occasionally and somewhat consistent
  
Describe a situation where you applied a specific Scripture in your life.  How did God's truth affect the outcome?
- A few months ago (pre-Thanksgiving) I had reached a place where I had little to no hope.  Trials, struggles, just kept hitting one after another.  They came in all shapes and sizes. Honestly at that time I had spent very little time in the Word.  But I did decide to get back into the Word and was led to 1 Peter 1.3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has caused us to be born again unto a living hope..."; and  v. 7 "so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;".  That passage helped my put things back into perspective and renewed my strength.

Read the following teachings of Jesus and write a specific way you can put each one into action:
  • Matthew 5.16 - "“Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
    • I think maybe this is more than just "good works".   What about integrity?  As believers and followers of Christ we need to do things bigger, better, and faster than everyone else.  
    • Ephesians 6.5-8 talks about being a good slave and working with a good attitude, etc.  What type of employee are you?  Yes, you stand for Christ, but do you work hard, do things the right way, with the right attitude?  If not, are you really glorifying God?
    • I taught about kindness this morning in Children's ministry.  Does it glorify God if you don't do all the "Thou shall nots", but aren't kind to your neighbor?

  • Matthew 5.23,24 - "So if you are offering your gift on the altar, and there you remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift."
    • This is so me.  On both sides.  "I know I hurt their feelings, but that is their problem, not mine."  "But they hurt me first."  Personally I could give your a number of instances of this in my own life,but I will refrain from doing so in a public format.  Will be happy to talk about them in person or via email.  Let me know.  I'm almost an expert on this one.
  • Matthew 5:39 - " But I tell you, don’t resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." 
    • By no means do I think that God wants us to continuously put our self in a position to be taken advantage of over and over, but its like mom always used to say "Kill 'em with kindness".
    • While I was reading James 1.22-25 I went back a few verses and found this.  I think this fits right in with this verse:  James 1:19–20 " My dearly loved brothers, understand this: Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger,  for man’s anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness. "
  • Matthew 5.44 - see the previous two. 
Listen:  (List one thing that you have learned that will help you listen to God's Word)
The thing that has stuck out the most to me this week is this:  Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, the perfect environment "ain't" happening.  Regardless how hard you try, there are going to be distractions.  Several times this week I have tried to sneak into my office, but my beautiful daughter always manages to find me.  Worse yet, one or all of my three dogs manages to find me and all wanting attention.  The Basset Hound ("Smelley Belly") has figured out that if she flops herself on my Bible there isn't really much I can do.  I just have to re-group and move forwarded.  But it always works itself out.

Understand
- Not sure if it "grown in understanding", but I was reminded this week (through some other resources) that I can have all the knowledge and understanding there is to have, but if it does not cause me to grow spiritually and/or closer to Christ it means nothing.
- Also I have come to realize another benefit of reading systematically in your Quiet Time.  I previously believed this was important because "if you did not have something to read, you wouldn't read anything"; however, there is another reason.  Reading systematically for your Quiet Time helps you keep things in context, thus, making it easier to understand.  If it is easier to understand, it is easier to apply and respond accordingly.

Response:  The verses from Matthew took a huge chunk out of my "spiritual backside" this evening.  Dealing with some issues that I can't write about on this forum, but I will be happy to talk about in person or via email.    So I definitely have some responding to do this week. 

Forgive any grammar and/or spelling errors.  Its late and I am writing this without my glasses because I'm too lazy to get up and get them.

Wag out.















No comments:

Post a Comment