Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Listening to God - Part 1 of somewhere between 2 and infinity

We talked quite a bit about listening to God this evening, and some very pertinent questions were asked. As usual, most I did not have a good answer for, so I will try to get you guys some answers this week.  I found this, and though it does not answers your questions directly, I thought it was some good instruction nonetheless.  This comes from June Hunt, a well-known Christian counselor.


LISTENING TO GOD

      •      Listening to God requires a belief that God loves me and desires to communicate with me.

     “The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.’ ” (Jeremiah 31:3) 

      •      Listening to God requires consistent reading, studying and meditating on His living Word, the Bible.

      “My word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)

      •      Listening to God means regularly getting alone and giving Him my undivided attention.

      “He went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone.” (Matthew 14:23)

      •      Listening to God is opening my heart and letting God point His finger of truth on the real me.

      “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23–24)

      •      Listening to God is listening carefully to others, realizing that God may be using them to communicate His personal message to me.

      “Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.” (Proverbs 13:10)

      •      Listening to God is recognizing the presence of the Holy Spirit within me and responding to His guidance for communicating with others.

      “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (John 14:26)

June Hunt, Biblical Counseling Keys on Communication: The Heart of the Matter (Dallas, TX: Hope For The Heart, 2008), 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment